Thursday, March 29, 2007

Book twenty: What the Lady Wants

What the Lady Wants* (1994)
Jennifer Crusie

Rating: 3.5/5

Ahh, Jennifer Crusie... need I say more?

This is an older book of Crusie’s – I think her third published – and its surprising how much her style had already developed. You can just tell by reading it that she wrote it. Stuff that would probably be boring when written by someone else is intriguing and witty.

This is one of her mystery/crime type books**. It’s much shorter than her later books – or maybe it just seemed that way because the book (and the font) were so tiny.

As usual, the characters were highly developed. They really do seem like people. Not only do they have their own likes and dislikes, they even have there own quirks. And as always for Crusie, their own dogs.

One of the things I like most about her books is how she develops the characters motivation without hitting you over the head with it.

I really like her books. I just wish she would write faster. But never mind, because there are a few of her books I haven’t read yet. They just aren’t published in Australia. But isn’t that what the Internet’s for?



* Finished reading Friday, 23/3

** I just realised I read three mystery/crime/romance books in a row. Why do I get stuck in these themes?

2 comments:

Marg said...

Karina, which ones are you still looking for? Some of them are available in two for one books under a different title. I have managed to find all of them except for one.

Karina said...

Hi Marg, I have found three (I think) of the two-for-one books here in Australia. I read somewhere recently that the first book she published – Man Hunting or something similar – was being re-issued in the U.S., so I'm hoping that do that here too...

Thanks for being my first ever commenter!