Saturday, March 10, 2007

Book seven: Seduced by the Night

Seduced by the Night (2006)
Robin T. Popp

Rating: 2/5

This book was okay. It is quite well written, had likeable characters and a few intrigues. Nothing startlingly original – although I guess the way the vampires were made is different.

I think this is the second in the series. Once again I haven’t read the first (Out of the Night). I’m not sure why, but the book shop didn’t have it, and my sister bought the second and third anyway? Each book has a different main character, so I don’t think it really matters.

It wasn’t that confusing, so maybe skipping the first one was a good idea. I hate books whose whole point is to set up the rest of the series. You know, meet the main characters! Learn their back story! And here are the rules of the world! Oh, and don’t forget to set up a situation for the next one! So boring.

I prefer series that have more than one protagonist, like this because I don’t think they suffer from this as much.

It did take me a while to work out who a few of the characters were; but the basic premise of how vampires are made and what these one’s wanted, as well as the plot from the first one wasn’t that hard to pick up.

I did like that the main character – who was being targeted by the bad guys – didn’t spend the whole first half (or longer) of the booking running around, getting into danger and constantly going on about how she didn’t need protecting.

She did make a few (ok, a lot) of stupid decisions safety-wise, but I guess they have to get the drama from somewhere, don’t they? Otherwise the whole book would have been about her sitting in a room waiting.

Yeah, that sounds exciting.

No comments: