Saturday, March 3, 2007

Book one: Dance with the Devil

Dance with the Devil (2003)
Sherrilyn Kenyon


Rating: 3/5
[Re-reading]


In the interest of intellectual snobbery: why couldn't the first book have been something high-brow? Why didn't I whip through War and Peace instead?

Oh well. Let's start as we mean to go on.


This is actually an entertaining book. (I'm pretty sure War and Peace isn't.) It is the third in Kenyon's Dark-Hunter series. The best part about this this book is that it introduces Simi, one of my favourite characters. She quality people.

Last week I read the new book in the series (although it is not really in the series, its a "Dream" Hunter book instead.) I think that is called... ummm, Dream Hunter. Hmm, creative title!

Anyway, that was set back in 1996*, and I guess was occurring in parallel with the first** book in the series (Night Pleasures... she's not been lucky with the titles, has she?) and I got all intrigued to find out what was happening at the same time in the series.

Plus, it is better in the week to read books you've already read. Otherwise you end up staying up to 4 am to find out what happens. Or at least I do.



* Its interesting to consider that she wrote that 11 years ago now (although it was published in 2002), almost before the paranormal romance sub-genre existed. Or at least I wasn't reading it. Well, I was 12, so I was probably reading Sweet Valley High, but whatever. Actually, I didn't read hardly any YA when I was actually a teenager. But that's a topic for another time.

** Although the first to be branded as "A Dark-Hunter Novel," this is also arguably not the first in the series, as Fantasy Lover, the short story Beginnings and the novella Dragonswan also deal with the world before this book. I'm pretty sure that Fantasy Lover was published first.

No comments: