Sunday, September 30, 2007

Book one-sixty-four: Annie May’s Black Book

Annie May’s Black Book (2007)
Debby Holt


Rating: 1.75/5

Pretty good premise, good writing, just annoyingly predictble things going on. I just find some of the things that happen frustrating. Especially the fact that she won’t listen to him. Why wouldn’t you?

Okay, so maybe you might decide its best not to talk to them… but stop talking to them all together. Don’t continue to have conversations in which they make annoying inferences to the past, and you ignore them.

It will only annoy me.

I guess the thing I found frustrating about this, was that the only thing keeping them apart was the fact that they didn’t sit down and have an honest, two minute conversation. There were no real obstacles, just a lack of communication.

October 15th, 1974: Miss Baker for telling me how to blow my nose and not believing when I still couldn't do it.

February 6th, 1977: David Llewellyn for saying my landscape painting looked like a pig's trough and then making honking noises every time he saw me.

April 12th, 1987: Peter Elton for ‘borrowing’ my cigarettes and never buying any of his own.
9th February, 1988: Ben Seymour for everything forever!

In her Black Book, Annie May has recorded the name and offence of everyone who has ever done her wrong. The greatest transgressor of them all was Ben Seymour: the man who jilted her at the altar seventeen years before.

Now he's moving into a house round the corner...





Finished: Thursday 13/9

No comments: