Thursday, September 13, 2007

Book one-hundred-and-fifty-eight: Wicked Woman on Top

Wicked Woman on Top (2005)
Tina Donahue, Jen Nicholas and Jordan Summers

Rating: 0.75/5

This book cost me $2.95, so I feel no guilt whatsoever about the fact I read the first ten pages of the the first novella Tina Donahue’s Let the Games Begin and couldn’t bring myself to read anymore… I couldn’t even work out what was going on. It seemed like they knew each other, but also like they didn’t… and what was with the constant changes in setting… like they kept having conversations and saying “meet me here at this time,” then in the next scene they one of them would show up early… I just couldn’t work it out.

The second Jen Nicholas’s Not Another Fairytale was okay I guess, but why did it have that prologue? What was its purpose? It wasn’t interesting, it had very little to do with the story, and could have been much more easily communicated with the line “recently, she had been having trouble finding work as a freelance journalist.” Actually I think a line similar to that was in there somewhere.

The final story, Private Investigations by Jordan Summers, was the best of the lot – which is unusual, usually they start with the best and work their way down… or at least start with the most famous, which they may have done, I don’t know. I’ve never heard of any of them before.







Finished: Wednesday 5/9

No comments: