Thursday, July 26, 2007

The Inaugural 115 Books I already Own Read-a-Thon (or the 115 for short)

I admit it. I have a problem. A book buying problem.

You see, I like to buy books, and books prefer not to bought on their own. How lonely would it be for the poor little thing if it had to be in the bag by itself all the way home from the shop? It is too traumatic to contemplate.

But of course, the problem with buying so many books on such a regular basis, is that I will buy two, but only read one straight away. Then I will buy two more, and once again only read one.

This adds up.

Especially, if you factor in all the books that I haven’t bought, but have access to and would really like to read.

All in all this adds up to a lot.

To 115, in fact**.

Which means, that I could realistically not buy any books for the next five months and still be able to read at my current rate.

I don’t know how I will go in my attempt to read these 115 books. I tend to get stuck in genres and only want to read one particular kind of book, and actually the 115 books are quite diverse.

In a perfect world, I would be able to force myself to only read these books, but I hold out no hope that I’ll be able to do it.

The original challenge set by my sister is that I must read ALL of the 115 books before I’m allowed to buy anymore. During this time, I would be allowed to buy 5 books (to account for books coming out in the next five months), but I must read at least the first five chapters or around 100 pages before I give up on a book***.

But I’m going to try. Even if I buy other books, I am going to make an effort to read the ones I already have. After all, something about them made me want to read them in the first place.

So, here are the books:


  1. The Blade Itself, Joe Abercombie
  2. The Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams
  3. Let the Right One In*, John Ajvide Lindqvist
  4. A Place Called Here*, Cecelia Ahern
  5. Cowl*, Neal Asher
  6. Shapestone*, James Bibby
  7. The Boy in the Stripped Pjyamas, John Boyne
  8. The Devil You Know*, Mike Carey
  9. Beauty Like the Night*, Liz Carlyle
  10. Touch the Dark, Karen Chance
  11. Charmed by Shadow, Karen Chance
  12. Half Moon Investigations, Eoin Colfer
  13. The Meaning of the Night, Michael Cox
  14. The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters*, G.W. Dahlquist
  15. The Spook's Apprentice, Joseph Delaney
  16. Dark Space*, Marianne DePierres
  17. Dreamland*, Sarah Dessen
  18. Someone Like You*, Sarah Dessen
  19. The Memory Palace, Christine Dickason
  20. A Northern Light, Jennifer Donnelly
  21. So You Want to be a Wizard, Diane Duane
  22. Spin Cycle*, Nick Duerden
  23. Inkheart, Cornelia Funke
  24. Lord of Ice (2)*, Gaelen Foley
  25. One Night of Sin (6)*, Gaelen Foley
  26. Neverwhere, Neil Gaiman
  27. North and South*, Elizabeth Gaskell
  28. Looking for Alaska*, John Green
  29. Across the Nightingale Floor (1), Lian Hearn
  30. Grass for his Pillow (2), Lian Hearn
  31. Brilliance of the Moon (3), Lian Hearn
  32. The Harsh Cry of the Heron (4), Lian Hearn
  33. The Fire and the Flame*, Mary Hooper
  34. The Dream Merchant, Isabel Hoving
  35. Notes from the Teenage Underground*, Simmone Howell
  36. Hellhole, Geoggrey Huntington
  37. Much Ado About You (1)*, Eloisa James
  38. Kiss Me Annabel (2)*, Eloisa James
  39. Taming of the Duke (3)*, Eloisa James
  40. Pleasure for Pleasure (4)*, Eloisa James
  41. 31 Dream Street*, Lisa Jewell
  42. 13 Little Blue Envelopes*, Maureen Johnson
  43. Devlish*, Maureen Johnson
  44. The Jane Austen Club, Karen Joy Fowler
  45. Do the Creepy Thing*, Graham Joyce
  46. The Historian*, Elizabth Kostova
  47. Swordspoint (1)*, Ellen Kushner
  48. The Privildge of the Sword (2)*, Ellen Kushner
  49. Troll Mill (1), Katherine Langrish
  50. Troll Fell (2), Katherine Langrish
  51. What's a Ghoul to Do?, Victoria Laurie
  52. Magic or Madness (1)*, Justine Larbalestier
  53. Magic Lessons (2)*, Justine Larbalestier
  54. Magic's Child (3)*, Justine Larbalestier
  55. To Distraction*, Stephanie Laurens
  56. A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian*, Marina Lewycka
  57. The Boy Book*, E. Lockhart
  58. The Boyfriend List*, E. Lockhart
  59. Fly on the Wall*, E. Lockhart
  60. The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl*, Barry Lyga
  61. Learning the World*, Ken Macleod
  62. Mixed Doubles*, Jill Mansell
  63. Staying at Daisy's*, Jill Mansell
  64. Night Rising, Chris Marie Green
  65. Property*, Valerie Martin
  66. Romanatis*, Sophia McDougall
  67. One Last Look, Susanna Moore
  68. Finding Cassie Crazy*, Jaclyn Moriarty
  69. The Riddles of Epsilon*, Chrstine Morton-Shaw
  70. The Darkness Within, Jason Nahrung
  71. Heritage, Judy Nunn
  72. The Realm of Shells*, Sonia Overall
  73. Sam's Letters to Jennifer, James Patterson
  74. The Scent of Shaows (1)*, Vicki Pettersson
  75. The Taste of the Night (2)*, Vicki Pettersson
  76. Life as We Knew It*, Susan Beth Pfeffer
  77. Trickster*, Tamora Pierce
  78. The Bell Jar*, Sylvia Plath
  79. Odin's Voice*, Susan Price
  80. Stolen Magic, M.J. Putney
  81. To Catch an Heiress (1)*, Julia Quinn
  82. How to Marry a Marquis (2)*, Julia Quinn
  83. Dead End Dating, Kimberly Raye
  84. Silent in the Grave, Deanna Raybourn
  85. Tripping to Somewhere*, Kristopher Reisz
  86. Born in Fire*, Nora Roberts
  87. Natural History*, Justina Robson
  88. How I Live Now*, Meg Rosoff
  89. Just in Case*, Meg Rosoff
  90. Beyond the Pale, Savannah Russe
  91. Beneath the Skin, Savannah Russe
  92. Past Repemption, Savannah Russe
  93. The Sweetest Thing, Fiona Shaw
  94. The Awakening (1), L.J. Smith
  95. The Reunion (2), L.J. Smith
  96. The Fury (3), L.J. Smith
  97. The Struggle (4), L.J. Smith
  98. Dracula, Bram Stoker
  99. Damsel Under Stress, Shanna Swendson
  100. Shadowbrook, Beverly Swerling
  101. Helloland*, Nick Walker
  102. The Night Watch, Sarah Walters
  103. Goonight Nobody*, Jennifer Weiner
  104. The Last Days*, Scott Westerfeld
  105. Uglies (1)*, Scott Westerfeld
  106. Pretties (2)*, Scott Westerfeld
  107. The King of Attolia*, Megan Whalen Turner
  108. Bareback*, Kit Whitfeld
  109. To Say Nothing of the Dog, Connie Willis
  110. Tempting Darkness, Elileen Wilks
  111. The Sun Witch (1)*, Linda Winstead Jones
  112. The Star Witch (2)*, Linda Winstead Jones
  113. The Moon Witch (3)*, Linda Winstead Jones
  114. A Room of One's Own*, Virginia Woolf
  115. Conrad's Fate*, Dianna Wynne Jones
I will add them to the side bar, and cross them off as I go.

Hmm, hopefully this will not take the fun out of reading. It can be my very own read-a-thon.



* = book I purchased

** Yes, I counted. I actually went around the house and collected them all and sat them on the dining room table. Then, when the dining room table was overflowing, on the floor. It was kind of fun. Like being in a book shop, but in my house.

*** I guess she knew I was thinking I could just read the first page and say I didn’t like it and consider it ‘read.’

No comments: