Thursday, July 26, 2007

Book one-hundred-and-fifteen: Devilish

Devilish* (2006)
Maureen Johnston


Rating: 3.5/5
[The 115**: 1/155]

I want more!

No, really… I wish this book was the beginning of a series, but I don’t think it is?

At St. Teresa’s Preparatory School for Girls in Providence, Rhode Island, rebellious senior class genius Jane Jarvis is worried about her best friend Allison Concord. Ally is lovable, but a little clueless, and badly in need of Jane’s help. She needs to get a freshman “sister” at the school’s annual Big-Little celebration. When Ally blows it (rather literally), Jane knows that they are in for a rough few weeks.


She has no idea just how rough they will be.

Strange things start happening in Providence. Hail storms rip into the city. A strangely polite gourmet in a silver roadster turns up every time Jane turns around. A freshman guy from neighbouring St. Sebastian’s starts to stalk her. A lanky, cupcake-loving sophomore transfer steps into their lives to save the day…


It just felt too short. I think the ending could have been the first quarter, then the rest could have been… I don’t know… more!

I just feel like the whole book was building up to something – and in the end that was just a question mark. We don’t know what is going to happen next. We don’t get ot find out how Jane is going to work through all these interesting and complicated things that will be the outcome of what happened.

We don’t know anything.

And I hate not knowing.

I know this whole question mark thing is a common way of ending books. I know you are supposed to wonder what happens and use your own imagination etc. etc. But it annoys me. I just spent that last 200 plus pages inside someone else’s imagination. Surely, they should be the one to decide what happens next?

Although, if I don’t like the ending/what happens next I usually make up my own anyway… so I should probably stop complaining and say that I thought this was really good, I just wish there was more.



* Finished: Monday 23/7
** I wish I could say that I planned that the first book of the 115 challenge was book 115... but I'm not that smart...

No comments: