Thursday, June 14, 2007

Book sixty-seven: Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist

Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist (2007)
Rachel Cohn and David Levithan


Rating: 3.5/5

This is really interesting. Rachel Cohn writes Norah’s point of view, while David Levithan writes Nick’s.

Nick: "I know this is going to sound strange, but would you mind being my girlfriend for the next five minutes?"

Norah: I answer by putting my hand around his neck and pulling his face down to mine.'

With one electric kiss, the five-minute couple of Nick and Norah sets off on an uncharted adventure that turns into a long night of falling in and out of love, in the alternative club scene of New York City.

Daring, intense, funny, sexy and very, very real, this is a first date of infinite charm and surprise.


This book has a lot of swearing. And for me to say it has a lot of swearing, means it has a lot:

"Fuck her.

Fuck her for getting in that cab. Fuck her for fucking with my mind. Fuck her for not knowing what she wants. Fuck her for dragging me into it. Fuck her for being such a fantastic kisser. Fuck for ruining my favourite band. Fuck her for barely saying a word to me before she left. Fuck her for not waving. Fuck her for getting my hopes up. Fuck her for making my hopes useless. Fuck her for taking off with my fucking jacket.

Fuck me.

Fuck me for always getting into situations like this. Fuck me for caring. Fuck me for not knowing the words that would’ve made her stay. Fuck me for not knowing what I want. Fuck me for wavering. Fuck me for not kissing her back the right way. Fuck me for getting my hopes up. Fuck me for not having more realistic hopes. Fuck me for giving her my fucking jacket.

Fuck."



Can’t you just feel the angst? Sigh.

I am in no way in favour of censorship, but I do find it interesting that this YA book has no “warning” label, while books with less in them have them plastered all over them.

I did find it was at times a little, I don’t know, pretentious, but in an angsty teenage way if that makes any sense.

They have written another collaboration called Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List, which will be published in the U.S. in late August of this year.



Finished: 13/6

No comments: