Thursday, May 3, 2007

Book thirty-seven: Fairest

Fairest* (2006)
Gail Carson Levin


Rating: 2/5

I was disappointed by this book. There was nothing really wrong with it, it just had a very slow pace, and the world-building was a bit self-conscious.

I had never read anything by this author before, but this book was everywhere I went. In every bookshop I stepped into, there it was, standing out at me on the shelves.

Of course, seeing as it was hardcover, I had never considered buying it before, but this was another purchase from the Myer sale.

Aza was raised by her the owners of the Featherbed Inn where she was abandoned as a baby. Her unique looks are thought to be ugly by Aza and the people visiting the Inn. The only thing she likes about herself is her singing voice. She discovers she has a unique talent: she can mimic the voices of others and make it seem like it is coming from anywhere**.

When a frequent vistor to the Inn’s companion falls ill on the way to the royal wedding, Aza must replace her. At the King’s court she is forced to betray the kingdom and risk those she loves.

As I said, it was a bit slow at times. Especially for a book based on a fairytale, when you can kind of work some of the plot points out for yourself, so just spend your whole time waiting for them to happen.

I think the world was a bit self-conscious. It seemed that every time something was mentioned that was unique to this world, it was then explained. Which is fair enough, I suppose. But it just felt like I was constantly being told these things, rather than just shown them.

I wasn’t entirely sold on Aza’s character. She was slightly annoying in her whole “I’m not pretty, so therefore I am worthless” jag. I found it unrealistic, in that we are told time and again that singing is the most important thing in the Kingdom: that it is prized and respected above everything else. Aza can sing well – it is often commented that she has the best voice anyone has heard – so it does not follow that people would shun her for the way she looks. While, it did seem beauty, or rather not being different, was important, it didn’t come across as more important that singing.

And I must admit, I was sick of the sight of the word “sing” by the end of it.




* Finished 29/4

** There are some very Singing in the Rain moments. And with them bursting into song at the slightly provocation, it did at times feel like a cross between that and Disney’s Hercules.

No comments: