Sunday, May 27, 2007

Book forty-six: Persuading Annie

Persuading Annie (2004)
Melissa Nathan


Rating: 3/5

I love Melissa Nathan’s books The Nanny, The Waitress and The Learning Curve, so I was so excited when I found this at the bookshop in Melbourne.

I really enjoyed this – although I did spend most of the book trying to match the plot to Persuasion, which is my favourite Austen novel.

It was great. I wanted to slap Captain Frederick… I mean, Jake, at the very same moments I wanted to slap him in the original. I wanted to shake Annie at the same moments too. Although it obviously doesn’t have the exact same things occurring, like Clueless did for Emma it perfectly captures the essence of the story.

"It was the perfect opportunity for 'closure'...

Meet Annie Markham. Gentle, sweet and kind. Except for her dark side. A dark side called Jake Mead. Seven years ago he'd been her entire world, even though her godmother had tried to persuade her to dump him. But when the going got tough, Annie's 'tough' got going. Jake's hasty departure from her life proved that a) godmothers are cleverer than they look and b) the only thing reliable about men is that they're totally unreliable.


Now Jake is back in her life. And he's the one man who may just save her family's ailing company.


But what Annie doesn't know is that Jake has an Achilles' heel. An Achilles' heel called Annie Markham. He's never quite got over her treatment of him all those years ago. This is the perfect opportunity for what some may call 'closure'. But what Jake calls, 'revenge'."


This was previously published by another UK publisher, but has been re-realeased by Random House. I hope that her first book, Pride, Prejudice and Jasmin Field is re-realeased soon as well.



Finished: 12/5

No comments: