Sunday, May 27, 2007

Book forty-two: Jude’s Law

Jude’s Law (2006)
Lori Foster


Rating: 2/5

I had to go to Melbourne for the last few weeks for work. The only good thing about this was that I found a good bookshop near the office there and felt entitled – due to getting up at 5 am to fly there and working pretty much the whole time I was there that I wasn’t sleeping – to buy as many books as I wanted.

Strangely enough, these were mostly contemporary romances, which for some reason the bookshop there had a whole lot more of than what my local bookshop in the same chain has. I’m not sure if this is due to marketing demographics, or just that I have already read all the ones my bookshop stocks.


Anyway, I had wanted to read a full length book by Lori Foster ever since I read – and was disappointed by – her contribution to an anthology I read a while back. I always hear about how great her books are, and while I can see the influence she has had on other writers I like, I’m not sure if this was the highest quality I have read in this – I guess it’s a sub genre?

There's only so much frustration a guy can handle before he gets a little nutty. For Jude Jamison, his frustration has a name-- May Price. She's everything the former Hollywood bad boy actor came to Stillbrook, Ohio, hoping to find: open, honest, lovable, and full of those luscious curves you don't find on stick-figure starlets-- curves May doesn't seem to appreciate in herself.

Every time Jude tries to get close to the skittish business woman, to take her in his arms, she thinks he's joking. Joking? Joking does not involve lots of cold-shower therapy. Time for new tactics. If May can't respond to his sly compliments and sexy innuendos, he'll just have to spell it out for her.

Jude Jamison is going to lay down the law for May Price. And after that, she'll have no delusions about just how much he wants her.


There is this weird sub-plot going on with other characters which really annoyed me when I read it – then I found out there is actually another book that deals with this… which I have since read, and now find I like this book more than when I finished it.



Finished: 8/5

No comments: