Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Book twenty-eight: The Nerd Who Loved Me

The Nerd Who Loved Me* (2004)
Vicki Lewis Thompson

Rating: 2.25/5

This book was entertaining, but was also slightly disappointing. While the writing style was fun and easy to read, I think the plot was a bit light.

When Harry agrees to look after Lainie’s near-genius son Dexter while she works her shift as a Vegas showgirl, he doesn’t realise that he will soon be on the run from Lainie’s ex-boyfriend – and Dexter’s father – Joe. In an attempt to keep Dexter safe Harry and Lainie decide to go check out some time share apartments (for the free accommodation) while Harry’s mother (a retired showgirl) looks after the kid.

Obviously, madcap hilarity ensues.

It seemed to drag a bit in the later half and it also seemed that each character had only one motivation for their actions. Sure, everyone had a different motivation of their very own – but they only seemed to act under that one motivation.

And repeat it over, and over, and over again to themselves.

Parts of the plot were unrealistic, but that’s not entirely unexpected in a contemporary romance. I think my lack of understanding of American family law might also have contributed to this initially and it’s never really explained (I guess it would be boring for U.S. readers if it was). Although I do think it’s interesting that one parent can’t move with a child to another state, without the written permission of the other parent. I wonder if this is all states, or just certain ones? Very weird.

Also, I do get annoyed with books that try and do the whole “we can’t be together for a very good reason” plot, but then don’t quite pull it off. I guess part of making this feasible would mean that both characters be aware that the other has feelings for them – without this ever actually being confirmed – but I think it is unrealistic that either character would be so sure that the other one was in love with them.

All that being said, it was entertaining and readable. The characters were only slightly annoying. This is part of a series, that isn’t really a series… I guess it is more of a collection by the author. I will try a few more of them – mostly because I already bought them in a three for $14 sale – but also because I think it was just the plot, and not the writing that let her down here, so I’d be interested to try something else she’d written.



* Finished Tuesday, April 10

No comments: