Thursday, April 26, 2007

Book thirty-three: The Dead Girls’ Dance

The Dead Girls’ Dance* (2007)
Rachel Caine


Rating: 4.25/5

Finally! A book that was well written and had a good plot.

The Dead Girls’ Dance, the second in the Morganville Vampires series, picks up right where The Glass House (2006) left off. And I mean right after: glue these two together and you have one book.

Well, almost. I have a feeling you would have to glue the next in the series on the back of this one to get the full book. (I really want to read the next one. At least I only have to wait until August – it’s called Midnight Alley).

The second book continues the story of Claire, a 16 year old who got into college on earlier admission. After discovering Morganville’s secret – basically that vampires own and run the town, and if you’re not loyal to one of them, your fair game – she ended up living at the Glass house, with Micheal (who’s always disappearing), Eve (an over-the-top Goth), and Shane (unemployed bad boy). Their adventures continue…

The only thing I didn’t like about it was that the title and the back cover are kind of misleading. The back of the book almost gives some things away, although maybe I was the only one who spent the first three quarters thinking, “they have to be alright, because they’ve got to go to that dance, right? Right?”

This book is great. It’s well written with a fast moving plot and very likeable characters (and some quite un-likeable ones too). I like that the good/bad lines are becoming more and more blurred as the series continues. It’s very hard for them to know who to trust – although I have to say that I think sometimes, Claire a little too trusting. I think this is going to get her into trouble.

Did I mention I would like to read the next one now?



* Finished 20/4

No comments: