Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Book one-hundred-and-forty-two: She’ll Take It

She’ll Take It (2006)
Mary Carter


Rating: 0.25/5

I might have just been in a really bad mood, but I disliked the main character so much, I actually couldn’t bring myself to read it properly after about the first 75 pages. I tried skimming for a while, hoping that it would get better, but it didn’t.

Actually, the main character here was my least favourite type of character. I can’t stand the immature and irritating near-thirty-something, with no work ethic and a general lack of morals, who think the whole world should just fall at their feet and worship them. Which it generally does, of course.

I think it was somewhere around the time she started arguing with her temp agent, and where she started arguing with her new supervisor, while simultaneously obsessing about a boyfriend that anyone could see was an idiot – that the book lost me.

I just don’t understand why these characters form such a large part of popular fiction. It just irks me. These people are generally too annoying to live. There is no way I can see, that they could have possibly survived past high school. In fact, the majority of them behave like they are still in high school.

I, Melanie Zietgar, do solemnly swear I will never shoplift again. Ever!**
Exceptions: Break-ups, weight gain, job losses, Visa bills, surprise visits from my mother

You only get one chance in life. Right? So if you’ve got a talent, you should use it. Right again, right? But what if your only talent – and obsession – is for nicking pretty, expensive objects and dropping them into your handbag?

Melanie knows she’s got to stop, and she will. She’s just waiting for the right moment. But when Greg, who’s sexy, caring, sweet – and a loss prevention lawyer with an understandable aversion to the light-fingered in life – comes her way, her day of reckoning could be closer than expected.





Finished: Sunday 19/8

No comments: